This summer’s start has been a hectic one! We’re currently on a six-month work contract that has us on a US Roadtrip, working at festivals and events across the country. Late spring saw us in the northeast, culminating with a Fourth of July celebration in Philadelphia. Next, we learned we were nominated among a great group of bloggers for the USA Today/10-Best Couples Travel Bloggers (shameless plug: you can still vote for TurtlesTravel daily). We’ve continued to head south, and the weather is turning hot, hot, hot.
Tuning in to the last Travel Photo Roulette round, we were excited to see that our friends at Two for the Road chose a theme of “Into the Wild.” Since getting out into nature is such a big part of our travels too, we were especially excited to find a photo that captured that idea. The long-running Travel Photo Roulette series themes have varied from “Landmarks” to “People Sleeping,” and it’s always fascinating to see different interpretations. We were honored that our photo of Donny leaving the trail on a path in the countryside outside Yangshou, China was chosen for this round. Be sure to check out the other great entries, and read on for info on how to participate in Round 83 of Travel Photo Roulette.
***And the winner is…***
After much debate (there are two of us) as well as consulting with friends and family, including some summer-loving kids, we’ve come to a decision. All the entries were awesome, making it tough to choose just one. While we were really loved some of the landscapes and scenic shots, what ended up clinching it was how Richelle’s photo included not only an idyllic beach with beautiful blues but also beach-goers enjoying sun, surf and sand. For us, she really captured, “Summer!” We look forward to seeing what the next Round’s theme will be. Thanks so much to all who participated. Please scroll down and take a look at all of the other fantastic entries. Link on over to participants’ blogs as well. Photo Roulette is a great resource for discovering some wonderful travel and photo blogs!
Travel Photo Roulette #83’s Theme: Summer!
In honor of this lovely time of year in the Northern Hemisphere, we have chosen “Summer!” as the subject for Travel Photo Roulette #83. Whether your idea of summer is getting out to the beach, cranking up the heat on your grill or cooling off with a frozen treat, we each have our own favorite things about summer. We can’t wait to see what it brings to mind for all of you! We love to hear a bit of the story behind the photo, too, so be sure to include some background on why your photo really embodies summer for you. To get you started, we’ve included some of our own Summer! shots.
Submissions for this round will be open from Sunday, July 27 through Sunday, August 3.
To enter the Travel Photo Roulette leave a comment below in the comments section with a link to the photo you’d like to submit. All photos will be included in this post. After the submission period, the post will be updated to announce the winner, who will host the next round.
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and people submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favourite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, G+ and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest. Make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette.
– One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
– Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (ie. using Photoshop) is not.
– Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
– Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
– If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme:
– Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
– Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, or “Overlooking Creation”. Use something that is able to be interpreted by all
– After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
– No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
– Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
– Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
– Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
– One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
This is a list of all the previous winners and themes. Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some fab photographs.
1. Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
2. Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
3. Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
4. Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
5. Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
6. Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
7. Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
8. Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
9. Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
10. Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
11. Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
12. Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
13. Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
14. Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
15. Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
16. Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
17. May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
18. Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
19. Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
20. Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
21. Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
22. Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
23. Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
24. Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
25. Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
26. Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
27. Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
28. Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflections
29. Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
30. Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
31. Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
32. Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
33. Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
34. Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
35. Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
36. Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
38. Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
39. Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
40. Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
41. Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
42. May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
43. May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
44. May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
45. Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
46. Aug 2012 2away Smile
47. Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
48. Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
49. Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
50. Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
51. Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
52. Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
53. Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
54. Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
55. Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
56. Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
57. Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
58. May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
59. Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
60. Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
61. Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
62. Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
63. Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
64. Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
65.Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
66 Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
67. Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
68. Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
69. Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
70. Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
71. Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
72. Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
73. Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
74. Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
75. Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
76. Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
77. Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
78. Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
79. May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
80. May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
81. June 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
82. July 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
83. July 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!